By Rod Ellis

Guernsey 1 Leatherhead 4
Leatherhead consolidated their position in third place with a convincing 4-1 win at
Guernsey’s Footes Lane Stadium on Saturday.

Two first half goals from Trevan Robinson followed by second half strikes from
Daniel Hector and Omarr Lawson allowed Tanners to make it third time lucky on
Guernsey, following a 2-0 defeat there ten years ago and last season’s 1-1 draw.

The Green Lions featured four survivors from Leatherhead’s first visit to the island in
2014 with Jamie Dodd, Dave Rihoy, Ross Allen and Matt Loaring all appearing in
manager Tony Vance’s starting line-up.

But it was Guernsey’s relatively young forward Brandon Wallace who posed the
biggest threat to Leatherhead, pulling a goal back for the hosts on 40 minutes and
coming close to levelling in the second half before Tanners went on to secure the win.
Wallace missed a good chance to open the scoring for the Green Lions after 16
minutes, firing a shot straight into the arms of Leatherhead keeper Amadou Tangara.

Tanners gradually got to grips with the uneven Footes Lane playing surface to take
the lead on 24 minutes. Guernsey keeper Josh Addison badly fumbled the ball,
allowing Robinson to steal in and fire home.

Leatherhead continued to press the Green Lions’ defence, with Tyler Cox and
Michael Elechi making effective use of the width of the pitch to pose threats from
wide positions.

Tanners doubled their lead on 35 minutes. Ibrahim Olutade dispossessed Guernsey’s
Ben Solway and dragged the ball down to the by-line before feeding it through for an
advancing Robinson to side-foot home.

Robinson almost completed a hat-trick for the visitors three minutes later, with his
long range effort going over the bar.

Tanners allowed the hosts back into the match on 40 minutes as Wallace launched a
30 yard effort over the top of Tangara and into the roof of the net.

Leatherhead restored their two-goal advantage on 60 minutes. Robinson pressed
forward and hit a shot against the foot of the post, with ball rebounding to an
advancing Hector to fire home from close range.

Guernsey threw caution to the wind in their attempt to reduce the arrears. On 62
minutes Wallace struck a shot over the bar. Four minutes later Ross Allen failed to
test Tangara as another Green Lions’ effort sailed over the bar.
But Leatherhead eased the fears of any late comeback from the hosts, scoring a fourth
goal on 78 minutes. Cox delivered a probing cross into the penalty area from the right.
The Guernsey defence failed to make an effective clearance, allowing the ball to run
through to Lawson to fire into the roof of the net.

Leatherhead keeper Tangara picked up an injury in the second half which saw him
limping heavily in the latter stages. But he still managed to flick a late Guernsey
attack over the bar and out for a corner.

Tanners saw out six minutes of added time without further incident to secure another
vital three points in their push for an end of season play-off place.

Leatherhead return to league action on Tuesday when they visit Ashford Town
(Middx) for a rearranged league fixture at the Robert Parker Stadium. Kick-off is at

Guernsey: Josh Addison, Jacques Cauvin, Jamie Dodd, Dave Merris (Simon Arnold
76), Ben Solway (Oscar Leadbeater 89), Tom Dodds, Dave Rihoy, Seb Vance (Niall
Hainsworth 77), Brandon Wallace, Ross Allen, Matt Loaring

Leatherhead: Amadou Tangara, Tyler Cox, Michael Elechi, Fikayo Atewologun, Jerry
Puemo (Luther Williams 82), Fabio Saraiva, Daniel Hector (Trey Masikini 82),
Kenny Beaney, Ibrahim Olutade (Ghas Sow 68), Trevan Robinson, Omarr Lawson,