Ashford Town (Middlesex) 0 Leatherhead 1

Leatherhead gained another valuable three points with a hard-fought 1-0 win at
Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Tuesday evening.

Trevan Robinson scored the only goal of a tight end to end game with a well-executed
breakaway solo effort.

Leatherhead manager Hayden Bird selected the same starting eleven that had won so
convincingly at Guernsey on Saturday.

Both teams managed to produce some attractive attacking football in an eventful
opening half hour. But both sets of players tired as the match progressed, increasingly
struggling to play effectively on the energy-sapping heavy pitch.

Tanners took an early lead. On eight minutes Robinson latched onto a clearance just
inside his own half, running thirty yards with the ball at his feet before calmly slotting
a low shot past goalkeeper Arber Grosha from the edge of the box.

Ashford battled back. Sam Sesay threatened with a long cross to the far post and Scott
Day’s speculative effort was well blocked by the Tanners defence for a corner.

The corner was well defended and the ball was quickly fed out to Ibrahim Olutade.
The Leatherhead striker tried to play a long ball forward to an advancing Robinson,
but Grosha bravely dived at the goal scorer’s feet and successfully latched onto the

Leatherhead’s Michael Elechi produced a fine break down the left on 15 minutes
before squaring to Daniel Hector on the corner of Ashford’s penalty area. But Hector
was unable to hit the target with his shot, firing his long range effort high over the bar.
Tanners missed another opportunity to add to their lead on 32 minutes. Olutade
latched onto a pass from Fabio Saraiva but his low shot was well blocked by Grosha.

Leatherhead had the ball in Ashford’s net on 49 minutes. Persistent pressure in the
hosts’ crowded six-yard box saw the ball eventually stabbed over the goal line before
the referee blew for a foul on the keeper.

Tanners created another good chance on 64 minutes. Olutade beat his marker down
the right before delivering a probing cross into the box. But Robinson’s glancing
header went straight to Grosha.

There were few opportunities in the final half hour with both sides visibly tiring. The
hosts could have snatched a late equaliser on 89 minutes when Deven Reid-Solanki
got past his marker before firing wide.

And Ashford sub Reanu Grossett was denied a stoppage time equaliser after latching
onto a loose clearance from Leatherhead skipper Kenny Beaney. But Grossett’s shot
had insufficient power and direction, enabling Tanners keeper Amadou Tangara to
save comfortably.

The result sees Leatherhead move level on points with second-placed Marlow, with
both clubs twelve points behind runaway league leaders Chertsey Town.
Tanners return to league action on Saturday when they host Binfield at Fetcham
Grove. Kick-off is at 3.00pm.

Ashford Town (Middlesex): Arber Grosha, Ahkeem Belford, Prince Kandolo, Jake
Eales, Alex Stingelin (Carlos Bain 71), Sam Sesay, Sam Humphreys, Scott Day,
Juwon Akintunde, Connor Young (Reanu Grossett 76), Kingley Eshun (Deven Reid-
Solanki 66)

Leatherhead: Amadou Tangara, Tyler Cox, Michael Elechi, Fikayo Atewologun, Jerry
Puemo, Fabio Saraiva, Daniel Hector (Luther Williams 90), Kenny Beaney, Ibrahim
Olutade (Ghas Sow 69), Trevan Robinson, Omarr Lawson,