Leatherhead 2 Binfield 0
Goals from Ibrahim Olutade and Trey Masikini saw Leatherhead pick up another
three points on Saturday with a 2-0 win against lowly Binfield.

Tanners took the lead after ten minutes and dominated possession for much of the
opening half. But they were unable to add a second goal until Masikini’s fine finish
on 72 minutes put the result beyond doubt.

Leatherhead manager Hayden Bird made a couple of changes to the side that edged
past Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Tuesday, with Jamie Splatt and Gus Sow
replacing Michael Elechi and Daniel Hector in the starting line-up.

Tanners missed out on three chances to take the lead on eight minutes. Goalkeeper
Killian Barrett blocked a first shot. A second effort came back off the post before a
final attempt was fired wide.

Leatherhead continued to threaten the visitors’ goal and took the lead two minutes
later. Trevan Robinson’s initial shot was well blocked by Barrett. But the Moles
keeper could only divert the ball towards an advancing Olutade who drove it firmly
into the net.

Tanners were able to exploit gaps in the visitors’ defence, with Tyler Cox and Fabio
Saraiva both producing good breakaway runs down the left.
On 34 minutes Cox tried to beat Barrett from outside the penalty area, but his curling
shot went over the bar.

Two minutes later Olutade rose in the six-yard box to meet a Kenny Beaney free kick,
but his header went straight to the keeper.

Saraiva planted another good cross into the box from the left, but Olutade was unable
to find direction with his header and the ball sailed harmlessly over the bar and out for
a goal kick.

Leatherhead’s inability to add to their lead could have proved costly.
Binfield had the ball in the hosts’ net before half-time, but the assistant referee
flagged for offside. And a minute later the ball was in the Moles’ net, only for the
linesman at the other end to raise his flag for an offside Tanners player.

Leatherhead keeper Amadou Tangara was forced to block an injury time shot from
Binfield’s Rechan Esprit, but otherwise had very little to do in a one-sided opening

Tanners were unable to recreate their first half dominance in the second period. But
the introduction of Masikini on 67 minutes saw the match swing heavily in the hosts’

Cox was a continuous threat to the Moles defence with his mazy runs down the left.
And on 72 minutes the attacking wing-back picked out sub Masikini in the box, who
turned and beat Barrett with a well-directed shot into the corner of the net.

Binfield missed a chance to pull a goal back on 75 minutes. Luke Wayborn’s long
throw into Leatherhead’s penalty area evaded everyone on its way towards the goal.
Tangara let the ball pass him, thinking it would go out for a goal kick. But the ball
struck the post and rebounded out to Esprit, who fired over the bar from less than six
yards out.

With the top three all winning, Tanners stay in third place, level on points with
Marlow and twelve points behind runaway leaders Chertsey Town.

Leatherhead return to action on Tuesday when they make a first league visit to
newcomers Badshot Lea. Kick-off at Westfield Lane, Wrecclesham is at 7.45pm.

Leatherhead: Amadou Tangara, Fikayo Atewologun, Tyler Cox, Jamie Splatt, Jerry
Puemo, Fabio Saraiva, Omarr Lawson (Trey Masikini 67), Kenny Beaney, Ibrahim
Olutade (Daniel Hector 67), Trevan Robinson (Marty Gage 85), Gus Sow

Binfield: Killian Barrett, Charlie George, Elijas Bagdonavicius, Luke Wayborn, Tyler
D’Cruz (Jake Fisher 24), Connor Jeanes, Rahzir Smith-Jones, Rechan Esprit,
Manuchim Oke-William, Ehan Lindo (Rhys-Elian Hajro 79), Dontaye Whittaker
(Isaiah Blankendal 79)