Uxbridge 1 Leatherhead 3

Leatherhead snatched a fortunate three points at Uxbridge on Saturday thanks to two
late goals from Ollie Cook and Trevan Robinson.

With the match all square at 1-1 and heading towards added time, Cook gave Tanners
the lead with a fine finish on 89 minutes. And a minute later Robinson stunned the
home crowd with a superb long range strike into the corner of the net.

The fixture marked Uxbridge’s much anticipated return to Horton Road for the first
competitive fixture on their newly laid 4G pitch and there was a buzz of expectation
in the home crowd.

But things didn’t go according to plan for the hosts as Tanners snatched an early lead
in the fourth minute. Leatherhead captain Kenny Beaney delivered a teasing free kick
into the heart of the Reds’ penalty area and Cook leapt up to head home.

Play was briefly held up following a clash of heads between Uxbridge skipper Alan
Hedley and Leatherhead’s Fabio Saraiva. The Tanners midfielder was withdrawn with
a heavily bruised forehead and replaced by Trey Masikini.

Reds threw players forward in an effort to draw level. Tanners held onto their lead
until just before half time, largely due to a string of fine saves from their goalkeeper.
Mikey Allen was severely tested in the opening half, blocking a Hedley header on ten
minutes before making a low save to deny Mickel Platt five minutes later.

Allen produced an equally fine save to turn George Moore’s stunning long range
volley behind for a corner on 24 minutes. Reds came close again eight minutes later
when Ezra Ndukuba’s powerful long range effort thundered against the crossbar.
Uxbridge continued to press forward and eventually breached Leatherhead’s defence
with a goal in first half stoppage time. Tanners were unable to clear the ball from their
penalty area and Platt fired home from close range.

Leatherhead’s defence was better organised in the second half and presented fewer
opportunities to the hosts in front of goal. Prince Ogunmekan missed out a chance to
give Uxbridge the lead on 76 minutes, firing over from close range.

But the match turned in the visitors’ favour in the final minutes of normal time as
Tanners retook the lead against the run of play.

With the clock running down, Omarr Lawson floated a free kick across the width of
the Reds’ penalty area. Michael Elechi latched onto the ball and squared to an
advancing Cook in the middle of the box to score from ten yards out.

Uxbridge and their supporters were visibly stunned by the late goal. Robinson won
possession straight from the restart and set off down the right with one thing in mind.
The Tanners striker took a couple of touches and launched a blistering 30 yard strike
into the corner of the net for a goal of the season contender.

Leatherhead return to league action on Tuesday evening when the hosts Northwood at
Fetcham Grove. Kick-off is at 7.45pm.

Uxbridge: Loris Marcimain, Josh Andrew, Lewis Patrick (Elijah Anthony 69), Alan
Hedley, Kai Hobbs, Lewis Cole (Alex Witham 77), Ezra Ndukuba, Alex Paine,
Mickel Platt (Dean Morgan 85), Prince Ogunmekan, George Moore

Leatherhead: Mikey Allen, Tyler Cox, Michael Elechi, Jamie Splatt (Alpha Diallo
81), Ollie Cook, Jerry Puemo, Fabio Saraiva (Trey Masikini 9), Kenny Beaney
(Trevan Robinson 66), Daniel Hector, Gus Sow, Omarr Lawson