Sutton Common Rovers 0 Leatherhead 1

Leatherhead edged past Sutton Common Rovers to move to the top of the table on
Wednesday in a tightly contested match at the Whyteleafe Sports Centre.
An own goal from Rovers’ defender Bertie Lloyd was all that separated the two sides
as the hosts defended in numbers.

Leatherhead had the majority of possession and should have won by a more
comfortable margin, but for some wayward finishing in front of goal.
That said, Rovers were quick on the break and had their own chances, especially in
the opening half. The resolute Tanners defence stood firm however and goalkeeper
Mikey Allen was rarely tested over the course of the match.

Daniel Hector was prominent in attack for the visitors, creating several first half
openings. But his early efforts were either wide of the target or over the top, rather
than forcing a save from Rovers keeper James Dillon.
At the other end, Courtney Swaby’s pace was a constant threat when Rovers were
given an opportunity to break in the visitors’ half.

Leatherhead missed a chance to go in front on 24 minutes when Trey Masikini was
fouled 30 yards out from goal. Fabio Saraiva stepped up and struck a curling free kick
just wide of the post.

Tanners went even closer three minutes later when Hector’s powerful shot was well
blocked by Dillon and Saraiva’s follow up was deflected onto the post by a Rovers

On 35 minutes Alpha Diallo did well to get the ball down to the by-line before putting
in a cross to Hector. But the Leatherhead striker got his foot under the ball and drove
his close range effort high over the goal.

Tanners continued to drive forward in an effort to snatch a half-time lead. Omarr
Lawson was denied when his powerful shot was headed behind for a corner before
another good effort from Masikini sailed over the bar.

Leatherhead’s efforts were eventually rewarded in first half stoppage time. A stinging
cross into the hosts’ six-yard box was intercepted by Lloyd and deflected past Dillon
for an own goal.

Tanners continued to dominate possession in the second half. Trevan Robinson forced
another fine save from the keeper on 53 minutes. And four minutes later Lawson
latched onto a good delivery from Masikini, but fired over from the edge of the box.

Gus Sow missed a chance to grab a second goal for the visitors on 80 minutes with
another block from Dillon before a follow up effort was cleared off the line by a

The win sees Tanners move a point clear of Raynes Park Vale at the top of the table
as they prepare for another short road trip on Saturday, when they visit Westfield in
the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

Sutton Common Rovers: James Dillon, Danny Divine, Matt Tanton (Charlie Martin
87), Antonio Simeone, Bertie Lloyd, Max Oldham (Nabeel Ghannam 64), Courtney
Swaby, Jordan Wilson, Aaron Jenkins (Mack Reilly 68), Ben Holden, Gabriel

Leatherhead: Mikey Allen, Alpha Diallo, Tyler Cox (Michael Elechi 87), Jamie
Splatt, Ollie Cook, Fikayo Atewologun, Trey Masikini (Junior Savane 87), Fabio
Saraiva, Trevan Robinson (Gus Sow 68), Daniel Hector, Omarr Lawson