Southall 1 Leatherhead 0
Leatherhead slipped to a second successive defeat with a disappointing performance against Southall at the Robert Parker Stadium on Wednesday. Michael Bryan’s well struck goal for the hosts after 48 minutes was all that separated the two sides on the night.
The visitors started brightly, keeping possession well with a series of good passing movements in midfield and testing Southall goalkeeper Michael Edegbe with some half chances during the opening 45 minutes.
Tanners created their first opportunity to break the deadlock on 18 minutes. Kenny Beaney’s quickly taken free kick picked out Dan Hector on the edge of the box, who flicked the ball onto an advancing Dave Tarpey, but the Leatherhead striker’s stinging shot was well saved by Edegbe.
Omarr Lawson was next to test the Southall keeper with a fierce drive on 22 minutes.
Leatherhead continued to press forward and Hector perhaps should have done better on the half hour mark, when driving forward with the ball down the right. But instead of picking out an advancing team mate in the hosts’ penalty area, Hector opted to advance towards goal and his wayward shot flew into the side netting.
Southall soaked up the visitors’ pressure in the opening half, content to allow Tanners to keep the majority of possession.
But the hosts stepped up a gear immediately after the break, with Leatherhead keeper Slavomir Huk at full stretch to turn away a goal bound effort on 48 minutes. The resulting corner was cleared away only as far as Bryan on the edge of the box, whose quick fire shot flew through a crowded penalty area on its way to the corner of the net.
Tanners almost nabbed an equaliser five minutes later when Tarpey’s dipping effort struck the top of the crossbar. But thereafter, Leatherhead were left chasing the game for long periods. There were too many hurried, over hit passes and too many occasions where the visitors’ forwards were caught out offside.
Leatherhead’s Keane Anderson tested Edegbe with a long range shot in the closing minutes and the Southall keeper did well again to block another effort from Tarpey with almost the last kick of the match. But Southall’s strong midfield line up gave away few opportunities in the second half and the hosts’ overall performance ensured they edged the match.
Tanners must now regroup as they prepare for the visit of Uxbridge to Fetcham Grove on Saturday.
Southall: Michael Edegbe, Alex Nolan, Frankie Taylor, Ryan Hope, Carl Pearce, Jack Roper, Jamie Hanlon, Ryan McClean Cassidy (Louis Stead 74), Bruno Tavares, Luke Heneghan (Elliot Sartorius 64), Michael Bryan (Kevin Songolo 57)
Leatherhead: Slavomir Huk, Jamie Splatt (Louis Collins 53), Max Mullins, Ben Frempah (Archie Burnett 83), Fikayo Atewologun, Olly Allen (Lewis Pearch 72), Keane Anderson, Kenny Beaney, Dave Tarpey, Dan Hector, Omarr Lawson