Chertsey Town 2 Leatherhead 1
Luke Robertson’s fine late winner saw Chertsey Town consolidate their position at
the top of the table in a thrilling end to end encounter against Leatherhead.

With the match all square at 1-1, the Curfews won a ninetieth minute free kick
midway inside the visitors’ half. Robertson met the ball with a powerful header that
flew through a crowded penalty area and into the corner of the net.

Daniel Hector replaced Jamie Splatt in an otherwise unchanged starting eleven for
Leatherhead, while the Curfews handed a debut to former Raynes Park Vale
midfielder Callum McAllister.

With four minutes played Hector tested Nicky Jupp with a rasping shot that the
Curfews keeper turned behind for a corner. Two minutes later Tanners keeper Mikey
Allen produced a fine save to deny Ollie McCoy’s long range effort for the hosts.

In a fast flowing opening half, both sides attacked at every given opportunity. On 16
minutes Leatherhead’s Trevan Robinson picked out Hector in the box as he whipped
in a cross from the right. But the Tanners talisman skewed his shot and the ball flew
wide of the goal.

The hosts missed out on a chance to take the lead on 28 minutes. The visitors’ defence
failed to clear a corner and the ball dropped invitingly for Robertson. But the
Curfews’ skipper’s goal-bound effort was blocked on the line by Luther Williams.

Chertsey’s persistence paid off with an opening goal two minutes later. Another
Curfews corner from the right dropped invitingly for Robertson and this time his well
struck effort flew into the net.

The Curfews almost doubled their lead just before the half time break. McCoy
received the ball from yet another Chertsey corner but drove his powerful shot just
wide of the post.

Tanners slowed the tempo of the match in the second half with the intention of
keeping possession for as much as possible, as they patiently looked for gaps in the
Curfews defence.

On 47 minutes Hector fed a long pass through the middle to an advancing Robinson,
but Jupp quickly came off his line and cleared the ball from danger.

The hosts missed a chance to extend their lead on 55 minutes. Wayne Ridgley
received the ball on the edge of the Tanners penalty area but failed to find the target,
striking his shot high over the bar.

The Curfews almost added a second goal when Gianluca Botti rose to meet a high
cross from the left, but the young striker failed to connect with the ball.
Leatherhead made a double substitution on 57 minutes with Ghas Sow and Trey
Masikini replacing Robinson and Omarr Lawson.

Chances continued to come and go at both ends. Botti failed to make a connection
with another high cross into the visitors’ penalty area, before Hector drilled a wide
angled shot into the Curfews side netting.

On 75 minutes Tanners won a free kick to the right side of Chertsey’s penalty area
about 25 yards from goal. It was at a perfect angle for Fabio Saraiva to test the
Chertsey keeper, but the Leatherhead midfielder’s low shot lacked power and
precision and the ball was safely gathered up by Jupp.

Tanners continued to press forward and equalised following a fast flowing passage of
play on 78 minutes. Hector combined well with Saraiva in the Curfews box before
whipping a shot past Jupp into the corner of the net.

Both sides looked capable of sealing a winner in the closing minutes. But it was
Chertsey who got the decisive second goal in the last minute of normal time, thanks to
Robertson’s powerful header.

Tanners’ hearts sank, but the visitors almost levelled in the final minute of added
time. Kenny Beaney delivered a probing free kick into the Curfews penalty area and
Ollie Cook rose up in the box to head the ball just over the bar.

And with that, the referee blew the final whistle, cueing widespread Chertsey
celebrations for a hard-fought win.

Leatherhead will look to put the disappointment of this defeat behind them as they
prepare to host Uxbridge in another league match on Saturday. Kick off at Fetcham
Grove is at 3.00pm.

Chertsey Town: Nicky Jupp, Mason Welch-Turner, Alex Fisher, Luke Robertson,
Reuben Collins, Liam Flanigan, Wayne Ridgley (Sam Opreon 74), Callum
McAllister, Gianluca Botti (Gareth Chendlik 90), Ollie McCoy, Louis Degand (Javon
Marquis 90)

Leatherhead: Mikey Allen, Alpha Diallo, Tyler Cox, Luther Williams (Jamie Splatt
69), Ollie Cook, Fikayo Atewologun, Daniel Hector, Kenny Beaney, Trevan
Robinson (Trey Masikini 57), Omarr Lawson (Ghas Sow 57), Fabio Saraiva