Leatherhead 1 Guernsey 0
Ollie Cook scored a late winner as Leatherhead made hard work of beating lowly
Guernsey at Fetcham Grove on Saturday.

With goalkeeper Mikey Allen injured in midweek training, Tanners boss Hayden Bird
handed a League debut to Toby McKimm. The young shot stopper had little to do for
long periods, although he had to make some key saves in the final few minutes as the
Green Lions pressed forward in search of a late equaliser.

While Leatherhead once again had the lion’s share of possession in midfield they
found the visitors a very difficult side to break down in front of goal.
Supporters coming into Fetcham Grove would have seen the Guernsey team bus
parked neatly outside the main entrance, ready for a swift post-match return to
Gatwick Airport.

And for eighty minutes or so, the visitors followed their management team’s clear
instructions to park the metaphorical ‘bus’ in front of goal, as they successfully
restricted Leatherhead’s chances to produce a meaningful shot on target.
It was a hard watch for anyone who had braved the cold and foggy weather, as
Tanners tried in vain to make a first half breakthrough.

On 17 minutes Green Lions goalkeeper Josh Addison palmed away Michael Elechi’s
shot heading towards the top left corner. The keeper produced another smart save to
deny Leatherhead’s Tommy Stagg midway through the half.

As the slowly enveloping fog descended on Fetcham Grove, Tanners came out for the
second half with more pace, purpose and vision in their attacks.

On 47 minutes Stagg unleashed a powerful shot from 25 yards which went just wide
of the post. A minute later Daniel Hector fired a low shot to Addison’s right with the
keeper making another fine block.

Leatherhead came close to breaking the deadlock on 79 minutes when Trey
Masikini’s thunderous long range effort came back off the crossbar.

Sensing the visitors’ vulnerability Tanners made the vital breakthrough on 82
minutes. A goal-bound shot was tentatively headed off the line, but only as far as
Cook. The Leatherhead centre-back chested the ball down and calmly stroked it into
an unguarded net from eight yards.

Hector almost added a second for Tanners a minute later, with Addison latching onto
the striker’s shot as it went above his head.

Guernsey desperately tried to get back on level terms in the closing minutes and won
a couple of stoppage time corners. But Leatherhead patiently dealt with everything the
visitors threw at them and held out for another valuable three points at the final

Tanners welcome fellow promotion hopefuls Raynes Park Vale to Fetcham Grove on
Tuesday knowing that whoever wins will go to the top of the table. Kick-off is at

Leatherhead: Toby McKimm, Luther Williams (Trey Masikini 61), Michael Elechi,
Fikayo Atewologun, Ollie Cook, Kenny Beaney (Trevan Robinson 80), Omarr
Lawson, Ghas Sow, Tommy Stagg, Daniel Hector, Tyler Cox (Jamie Splatt 61)

Guernsey: Josh Addison, Niall Hainsworth, David Merris, Tom Dodds, Tom Vaudin,
Seb Vance (Ben Solway 78), Charlton Gauvin (Keene Domaille 45), Jack Griffin,
Sam Murray, Owen Wallbridge, Matt Loaring